So you recently started your Invisalign journey? Congratulations! You are one step closer to straighter teeth and enhanced health and confidence. That being said, you are probably eager to see results and are wondering just how long it will take to notice any. Here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to the timing of Invisalign near you and your results:
- Remember that everyone is different. The rate at which your teeth realign depends on a number of factors, including your jaw shape, genetics, the health of your gums, and even your dietary choices. There is no single timetable that every person can use for Invisalign.
- There are average time frames. When our dental office in Yellowknife looks at the general population, we notice that most people tend to see results within the first two months of beginning their Invisalign treatment. On average, it takes about 6 to 12 months to completely transform a smile with Invisalign.
Ask Your Dentist For a Preview
One of the best things about Invisalign in Yellowknife is that the treatment is completely mapped out using 3D technology to create models of your mouth. This allows our dentist at Somba Ké Family Dental to create an exact timeline that shows precisely how your teeth will move.
This means that you can just ask your dentist to show you a preview of how your teeth will move. That way, you can look for expected changes and understand the order in which they will occur.
What To Do If You Do Not See Results
Invisalign can work slowly. The most crooked teeth in your smile are often the last to move, so it may take some time for you to notice obvious changes in your smile.
That being said, you should notice some movement by the time you are halfway through your Invisalign journey. If you don’t notice any changes, speak to your dentist near you about why this is. There could be a number of causes for your Invisalign treatment being off track.
Invisalign vs. Braces: Which is Faster?
Most of the time, patients notice quicker results with traditional metal braces. This is largely because braces are fixed onto the teeth, so the teeth are moving at a much quicker rate. With traditional metal braces, the brackets and wires work together to apply force to the teeth, which means that all the teeth will move slightly and then reposition as needed.
With Invisalign, each tooth movement is carefully planned out, and smaller adjustments are made, to begin with, before larger adjustments are completed.
What this means is that often patients notice movement with braces sooner than they do with Invisalign. However, Invisalign can still take less time overall.
How Can You Speed Up Results?
If you are eager to see results, there are a few things you can do to speed up the process:
- Wear your trays for the prescribed amount of time per day. You must wear your trays a total of 22 hours a day for your treatment to stay on track.
- Remember to change trays on time. Changing your aligner sets can be compared to tightening wires on braces. It must be done to ensure that your aligners continue working to move your teeth.
- Be patient. Resist the urge to give up halfway through your treatment. Remember that results take time, and your patience will pay off!